The Mediterranean diet is one of the few alternatives recommended by experts and scientifically guaranteed when looking to lose weight. Therefore, it is a healthy option that you need to know how it helps you lose weight according to science.
The Mediterranean diet has its origin in the alimentary behaviors typical of the Mediterranean region. It was based on cereals, fruits, vegetables, legumes, nuts and seeds, potatoes, olive oil and white meats consumed in moderation.
If you have been wondering how the Mediterranean diet for weight loss works, read on to gain a better understanding.
Incentives for Fiber Consumption
The fiber is the indigestible part of many foods. In our dishes, it favors satiety by delaying the digestive work and reducing the glycemic index.
Also, foods rich in fiber require chewing, and that is why they help us eat less. This is the reason its presence in a diet to lose weight is key.
Then, the Mediterranean diet rich in all kinds of fibers is very useful to satiate and eat less. This helps to promote weight loss in a healthy way. You can now see why the Mediterranean diet for weight loss works.
It Has an Anti-Inflammatory Effect
Obesity and overweight are conditions marked by inflammatory processes, and that gradually trigger other associated pathologies such as diabetes.
Many foods present in the Mediterranean diet, including extra virgin olive oil, have an anti-inflammatory effect in our body. This, therefore, contributes to good metabolic functioning.
The Mediterranean diet has also been associated with lower body weight and is considered useful to prevent overweight and obesity.
It Increases the Consumption of Light Foods
Legumes, whole grains, fruits and vegetables, fish, are all foods of low to moderate energy density parked in the Mediterranean diet.
Except for olive oil, the predominant ingredients in the Mediterranean diet favor satiety. And this also helps us to eat a healthier and lighter diet. In the Mediterranean diet, there is no room for the ultra-processed foods that are the protagonists of the Western diet. Therefore, the food is much less caloric and more nutritious. This is key when achieving the negative energy balance that we need so much to lose weight.
It Favors the Intake of Fat “Antibarriga”
In the Mediterranean diet, although there are a lot of light foods, there are also foods rich in fat and concentrated in calories but of very good quality.
This is the case of olive oil, which is rich in monounsaturated fats used in replacement of saturated fats. It can significantly contribute to weight loss, as concluded by several studies.
Likewise, in the Mediterranean diet fish intake is predominant, as well as nuts and seeds that can offer monounsaturated fat. These foods also provide polyunsaturated fats such as omega 3 that have been linked to less accumulation of fat throughout the body. And therefore, can contribute to weight loss
Also, this type of fats has an anti-inflammatory effect, which also would be useful when losing weight, as mentioned before.
As we can see, the Mediterranean diet has positive aspects that are useful when losing weight and taking care of our health. Therefore, it is one of the recommended options if you are looking to get rid of the extra kilos with a scientifically-backed resource.
A Typical Mediterranean Diet
- Breakfast: 1 glass of skim milk + 1 whole wheat bread together with ricotta + 1 slice of papaya.
- Morning snack: 3 rice toast + 1 tsp of butter + 10 pcs of peanuts
- Lunch/dinner: 1/2 grilled salmon wheel + 2 boiled potatoes + 2 tablespoons of peas + salad of lettuce, tomato and red onion + 1 pear
- Afternoon snack: 1 plain yogurt + 1 teaspoon flaxseed + 1 tapioca with light cheese + 1 banana
- Breakfast: Banana and apple smoothie made with skim milk + 2 tablespoons of oatmeal
- Morning snack: 1 glass of green juice of cabbage, lemon and carrot + 4 cookies Mary or cornstarch
- Lunch/dinner: grilled chicken fillet with natural tomato sauce + 4 spoons of brown rice + 2 tablespoons of beans + cabbage salad, grated carrot and grated beetroot + 1 slice of pineapple
- Afternoon snack: 1 natural yogurt + 10 strawberries + 6 almonds
- This menu should be prepared preferably using fresh vegetables and fruits; it is also important to add 1 teaspoon of olive oil to the lunch plate and one at dinner.